"We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully," Romans 12:6-8

Friday, August 29, 2014

Leaving a Legacy

Hannah was in a my cousins wedding about a month ago. The wedding was beautiful and she was the cutest little flower girl, if I do say so myself. As she ran down the aisle and her little ringlets bounced--- it brought tears to this mama’s eyes. It was a long day of being off schedule, but a great day. Hannah had to be pulled from the dance floor at 9pm (I think she would have partied all night). However, that’s not really what this post is about. At the beginning of the reception, as the band was playing, I came back from feeding my son to find this…

DSC_0610

DSC_0611

… the sweetest moment between Hannah and her Grandma-Great (great-grandma). It melted my heart. I passed my son off to the nearest person (okay, maybe not, but I passed him off), and snapped some shots of these two dancing away. I feel so honored that Hannah had developed such a relationship with Grandma-Great. My grandma is one of the strongest women I know. She is filled with faith, compassion, perseverance and so much spunk.

No ones life is “easy”, but what my grandma did with the deck of cards she has been dealt in life--- its inspiring. She is leaving a legacy of hope, faith and generosity. She is a pillar of strength and a model of faith. I have no doubt that she has acquired many jewels in heaven. Continually thinking of others. We have a joke in our family that you have to be careful complementing grandma about a material item… “Grandma, I love that jacket” “Oh, honey--- (as she’s taking it off), do you want it? its yours, it’d look so cute on you, take it.”

Someday I hope to leave such a legacy.

Currently, feeling as though I’m in the trenches of motherhood with a two year old and five month old. Battling naptimes, sleepless nights, teething children, unhappy hearts, tantrums, greed, impatience… and so the list continues, I pray that my actions would lead to a legacy. At the moment, I don’t feel they do. I have to humble myself regularly and apologize to my two year old, for not reacting appropriately, for not modeling the happy heart I am asking her to display. The phrase “mommy’s make mistakes too, and I am so sorry” has been said, more times than I would like to admit.

So I'm regularly drawn to my knees, asking for wisdom in shaping their little hearts… and that mine would be conformed to the likeness of Christ, as well. Praying that I would model what I am asking them to display. Praying that they would remember a mom who was there no matter what, who supported and showed grace for their childlike mistakes… because everyday in the eyes of the Lord, I make a mountain of childlike mistakes and the grace he showers upon me, is more than I deserve. We are human, my children and I. Sinners alike. In the midst of “those moments” I pray for the ability to remember that.

I love my two littles more than anything on this world. And I pray each day I am building a legacy for them… just as the one that was built for me.

So Grandma-Great…. Thank you. Thank you for loving us so unconditionally. Thank you for the grace you showered upon us. Thank you for the relentless forgivness and compassion. Thank you for guiding us with your “feather duster”. Thank you for leaving a legacy of strength, perseverance, faith, hope and Love of the Lord. I love you more than any words I type could express. You are an amazing woman, who I admire greatly. Love, me.

“You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise.” Deuteronomy 6:5-7

No comments:

Post a Comment